Spreadsheet Status

Autoplay, reporting, all those clever things it does. Discuss.

Moderator: kirkm

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Spreadsheet Status

Postby kirkm » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:41 pm

It's been a quite a while since any spreadsheet news or updates. The reason is Excel. It just isn't capable of doing what we want without crashing with one or more obscure errors - and more time has been spent attempting to sort that than develop some of the things we want to implement.

So - we're binning Excel and looking at another platform for the macro version. Data-only Excel workbooks will continue and the next one will contain all the user updates and amendments so far passed to the website. Plus any new (and verified) data received by then.

But for the macro version we need programmers!! If you're conversant with visual basic or VBA and have some time spare please PM me!

I'd estimate 3-6 months more before the next macro release. It will be backwards compatible with all the files you've collected and existing file structure.

Cheers - Kirk

Triangulator
Number One

Re: Spreadsheet Status

Postby Triangulator » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi Kirk,

I might be wrong, but:

53_065 - Billy Cotton - The Queen's Highway could be the 'A' side,

DR 18190 - The Queen's Highway
DR 18191 - I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

Also,

56_075 - Jimmy Parkinson - Hand In Hand could be the 'A' side.

CA 23492 - Hand In Hand
CA 23493 - The Great Pretender

Cheers,
Triangulator

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi Rob,
I think you're quoting matrix numbers and suggesting the first one *is* (or should be) the A-Side.
Most times that's right. But Matrix numbers are production numbers, used for identifying product through the manufacturing stages. It's what scribed onto the runout area of an acetate. First to follow that acetate as it's chemically reproduced through the mother/stamper stages. Then finally so the press operator knows which label goes on each side.
Most times the record company correctly anticipate the A-Side, but it can change with the true 'A-Side' becoming the most significant by sales/popularity.

Matrix numbers can be useful as identification for different versions, because each 'cut' may be from a different tape or mastering. The label may not reflect this, but what's in the runout groove area will.

Cheers - Kirk

Triangulator
Number One

Postby Triangulator » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Hi Kirk,

Many thanks for the 'lesson', that's put that to bed then :)

Cheers,
Rob

Return to “The Spreadsheet”