Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Introduction to Kentburn

Postby kirkm » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:43 am

Triangulator
Number One

Re: Introduction to Kentburn

Postby Triangulator » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:10 pm

I think the guy needs to listen to the stuff Tel has just posted before he trashes mp3!

T :?

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:01 am

It's an argument that's gone on since mp3's began. But in a subsequent email he admitted

With MP3's, being honest I could be fooled with an A and B test with a 320

But imo it's OK for someone to be a lossless purist if they prefer - and some mp3's do sound b-awful.

But - and you'd know T, do all USB decks output mp3 format ? I know (or believe) they have a USB and AF out and assumed the AF was straight audio. Yours sound better than an Ion (don't tell James though :shock: )

Cheers - Kirk

PS James rips have improved heaps :D

Triangulator
Number One

Postby Triangulator » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:08 am

Hi T,

The spec says I'm using a 16 bit , 44100 Hz USB CODEC

Right.... could apply equally to mp3 or wav. No other distinction between the two? Normally mp3 would also give a kbps value.

If I could plug my deck into a valve amp then I would be happy
You mean you don't have a Quad with KT66's? Darn... me neither !

Cheers - Kirk

Kentburn
Looking For Gigs

Postby Kentburn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:14 am

Good-day everyone from downunder - I thought I would use this thread to introduce myself. Though my user name is Kentburn, my real name is Mark. Over the last 15 years, I've been working on building a professional radio station. In an effort of not going off topic too far, I'll simply keep it brief, noting that the station's format covers 60s 70s 80s and 90s music, and when licensed as an FM broadcaster, it will as well carry news and info on about disability issues. I myself am vision impaired (hence my hearing), and moderate Asperger's Syndrome.

Anyway, in the efforts of pulling all the resources together, I decided to rip all my CDs and vinyls as WAVs, this is still a massive project ongoing. Over the last 30 odd years, I've collected about 6,000 CDs, 1,500 CD singles, and about 3,000 records. So far I've ripped and processed about 15,000 tracks. I've done 98% of my 60s music, 95% of the 70s, 75% of the 80s, and about 45% of 90s.

I've recently acquired a heap of norties stuff on CD, such as the entire compilation series So Fresh and Now from Australia, The Dome, Dream Dance, and Bravo Hits from Europe, and the UK Now series 1 through to 41, and some others like UK Nows volumes 78, 79, 80, 82, compiling this part is still a long way off. I suspect already much of this would of been done by others.

However when talking about processing my audio files, I mean making each individual song compliant for on air use. This means they all have the same starting space (200 milliseconds of silence before song begins), all the fades at the end of been cleaned up (some CDs or files just cut cold halfway through a fade), and all have been normalised to -0.10db so they are all at the same level. I emphasise here that I normalise only the peak level, NOT the mean level as record labels do. This is why so many record company discs are cranked - where dynamics have been destroyed. And lastly the most important thing is I spectral check every song in keeping out up-sampled rubbish like some record labels putting mp3s to CD, and mp3 upsampled flacs.

For example Cherry Red's recent release of Lieutenant Pigeons Greatest hits CD was entirely sourced from 128k mp3s. Wow! That was a real eye opener on record label incompetence, I couldn't believe it, and yes, that CD went straight to the trash.

Having so much music, and the ease of finding stuff on the internet, I pushed my music ripping project forward into the Kentburn project. This being similar to the Ozburn project, but using lossless files rather then MP3s. I'm trying to get as many CD rips as possible. However tracks that were never, or are hard to find on CD - a vinyl rip would suffice.

Though the debate on how good or bad MP3 sounds has been going on since whenever, just the fact that the file format is lossy is why I hate it. I would like to get bit-perfect copies of each song, whether that be WAV, Flac, or Monkey's audio. Realising the ubiquitous nature of mp3, I realise that they will be some CD rips from hard to find CDs posted as MP3. Regardless of this, I would still go for a lossless vinyl rip over a 320 mp3 from CD. If I can't find a clean lossless copy of a song on the internet, or in my collection, then it's off to the second hand record dealers in old Sydney town.

Ultimately I would like Kentburn to be a lossless historical archive of Australia's pop charts. But realising the enormity of the project, this is going to take me a bit of time, but having said that, I feel that I'm already a long way there.

http://www.2prfm.com/kentburn.html

When it comes to sharing my collection, I would like to help wherever possible, but I may of noted some things on my website about copyright and licensing, just to cover my A$$, so that pretty much clears that up. I'm pretty new to newsgroups. I know how to download, but have no idea how to upload any stuff from my collection. I feel for safer practices, I would rather send my material out on DVDs, as most probably someone soughting my help will most probably want a collection of songs - this would be easier to share on a DVD, rather then over the internet, I hope this is alright with everybody else.

Yes, I am after some songs too, but my requests are pretty much an absolute last resort if I can't find it on a;) flac on the internet, b:) a CD from amazon or ebay or my local record store, and c:) cant find a vinyl copy at a second hand dealer.

I prefer to lift tracks from 45's over LP's. This in the end is just one of my strange kwirks, I feel that 45's sound somewhat superior over LPs, that's just the way I see it. I also know with this I'm getting the original single version or edit, as it was released at the time. This is why I'm trying to get as much non-CD material as I can from buying up 45 records. And yes, there is a certain kind of magic when walking away from a shop with a bag full of 45s, there is a kind of special something I can't explain about it.

For curiosity, I don't use any spreadsheets, I'm using these lists posts from David Kents music books, as they appear on Australian-charts.com. I do have the books berried somewhere in my spare room, but accessing the online versions is easier, and admitfully a little bit more lazier. :( :(

For example:

1984 - http://www.australian-charts.com/forum. ... 61&pages=2

1985 - http://www.australian-charts.com/forum. ... 83&pages=2

So despite some of my kwirks, I hope I can be part of this community and get into some sharing.

REQUESTS (from the top of my head)

1984-04-30-L - Kiki Dee - The loser gets to win - EMI
1985-07-01-G - Michael Winslow - I am my own walkman - island
1990-10-15-H - Tyler Collins - Girls nite out - RCA (original radio version from UK Promo CD)

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:14 am

Welcome aboard (ahem!), Kentburn.

Kentburn wrote:For example Cherry Red's recent release of Lieutenant Pigeons Greatest hits CD was entirely sourced from 128k mp3s.

I know Iain, the owner of Cherry Red, I'll ask him why when the opportunity next arises!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
U K C H A R T S
-- webmaster --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kentburn
Looking For Gigs

Postby Kentburn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:42 am

Thanks, that would be much appreciated. Even if the mastertapes have been destroyed, a good needle drop (without noise reduction) would of been much more tolerable then mp3s.

Return to “Non Project Related Chat”