Attn ukcharts

ABC to ZZ Top, Abacab to Zerox

Moderator: ukcharts

Glinty
Number One

Attn ukcharts

Postby Glinty » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi Bert

I was wondering if you are going to publish lists of the missing tracks for the 80's. Also I have started sorting out labels for the 80's and have 1980/1981 ready for posting. Do you want them yet or should I wait until you are ready to post.

Cheers
Glinty

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Attn ukcharts

Postby ukcharts » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Glinty wrote:I was wondering if you are going to publish lists of the missing tracks for the 80's.

Great minds must think alike, as I've only just happened across this post! I think we're still a fair distance off posting any full years. Although I've got my vinyl catalogued I have a huge and pretty random selection of 80s tracks in other formats (flac, mp3, etc) which I'm slowly sorting into place.

Due to a preponderance for 12" releases or early CD Singles where possible, it seems that I have a reasonable collection of B-sides (they're often part of the package), but lacking the 7" version of the single. With several new boxes arriving yesterday I'm probably not far short of physically having 50% of the 80s here, but that's going to take a huge time resource to commit to wav-form (Let alone the scanning and attempting to complete the 80s database!).

Glinty wrote:Also I have started sorting out labels for the 80's and have 1980/1981 ready for posting. Do you want them yet or should I wait until you are ready to post.

Grabbed from the newsgroup, with thanks. Do you have some sort of framework set-up to enable rapid-fire photgraphing? I have a decent SLR digital camera here but can't seem to get the quality unless it's outdoors in good daylight.

B
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
U K C H A R T S
-- webmaster --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Glinty
Number One

Postby Glinty » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi Bert,

Your right it is very time consuming which I’ve found out from the relatively small amount of this type of work that I’ve done. It’s a labour of love.

As regards the photographs I did make a framework to hold the camera and disc at a set distance apart and I took most of them in the summer in natural daylight. I found that artificial light (Tungsten or Fluorescent) changed the colour of some labels. I’ve recently bought a Portable Studio, basically a 40cm cube with white cloth top and sides to defuse the light, but I haven’t had the time to try it out yet.

You know what 45’s I have from the photos, so if you need any rips let me know.
Another time consuming job is double checking everything before posting which I should have done with those photos. I’ve just found a error in 1980 where I’ve named u80_068 as u80_069.

Finally when you are ready to post 1980 do you intend to post A and B sides together or the B sides at a later date?

Cheers
Glinty

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:14 am

Glinty wrote:Your right it is very time consuming which I’ve found out from the relatively small amount of this type of work that I’ve done. It’s a labour of love.

You're not wrong, but at least we're over half-way now :D

Glinty wrote:As regards the photographs I did make a framework to hold the camera and disc at a set distance apart and I took most of them in the summer in natural daylight. I found that artificial light (Tungsten or Fluorescent) changed the colour of some labels. I’ve recently bought a Portable Studio, basically a 40cm cube with white cloth top and sides to defuse the light, but I haven’t had the time to try it out yet.

I've seen a few of those on ebay around the £30 mark, but I'm more tempted to knock my own up, especially as you'd need the framework anyway. Surely it's only a box with white cloth sides after all?

Glinty wrote:You know what 45’s I have from the photos, so if you need any rips let me know.
Another time consuming job is double checking everything before posting which I should have done with those photos. I’ve just found a error in 1980 where I’ve named u80_068 as u80_069.

I think a lot of them changed from the original spreadsheet post - we found a missing double-A side. I keep a folder for each release (as mentioned I also collect the tracks from any 12" or CD Single too), so it would soon show up if it went into the wrong place!

Glinty wrote:Finally when you are ready to post 1980 do you intend to post A and B sides together or the B sides at a later date?

I'm open to suggestions. At the moment I'm pushing to complete the spreadsheet up to 1984, i.e. halfway through the 80s. I'm expecting that to take a couple more weeks to fill in, then perhaps a couple more double-checking and tweaking. After that it's either crack on through to 1989 or start finalising the tracks for posting. Perhaps I'll post 1980 as a teaser, then do another year on the spreadsheet and alternate that way. I think the decision will probably have to be made then, depending on how close it is to completion. I expect as we get towards the end of the decade the more obscure b-sides will actually be easier to find than the more obscure a-sides, however I'm leaning towards the a-sides first. What do you reckon?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Glinty
Number One

Postby Glinty » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi Bert,

ukcharts wrote:I've seen a few of those on ebay around the £30 mark, but I'm more tempted to knock my own up, especially as you'd need the framework anyway. Surely it's only a box with white cloth sides after all?

I bought mine from Maplins in a sale for £9.99 but i notice now they are back up to £19.99.

ukcharts wrote:I'm leaning towards the a-sides first. What do you reckon?

Rather than go a long time with no new post I think it would better to alternate between A sides and spreadsheet with the B sides starting after the end of the decade.

Cheers
Glinty

Return to “1980s”