Roy Orbison - Monument Singles Collection

Adam Wade to Zoot Money, Acapulco 1922 to Zorba's Dance

Moderator: kirkm

Theo
Number One

Roy Orbison - Monument Singles Collection

Postby Theo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Worth noting that at least two of the tracks on this CD set aren't the 'originals':

"Blue Angel" was sourced from the alternate take issued on the 1965 recut 45 (and possibly other recuts)

"In Dreams" was sourced from the unedited version 1 issued on the 1982 recut 45 (and possibly other recuts)

Also an Amazon review says:
"This is a peculiar one.It claims to be the Monument singles yet it contains an alternate take of 'It's Over'-not the single release-and another of '(Say)You're My Girl'-the one here omits the spoken intro that was on the single."

Has anyone got the UK 45s of "It's Over" and "Say You're My Girl" to compare to the versions on this CD set?

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Roy Orbison - Monument Singles Collection

Postby kirkm » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:11 am

Yes, very annoying when you get ripped off by the record companies... but then I suppose they never advertised it as the "originals".

Nice to know what tracks are what though. I did buy this one and it is quite nicely packaged. I can probably source the NZ 45's if no UK ones turn up.

Theo
Number One

Re: Roy Orbison - Monument Singles Collection

Postby Theo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:00 pm

I guess "Blue Angel" and "In Dreams" are "single versions", since they were used on 45s, albeit not the first pressings.

Quote from Brian W on Steve Hoffman Forums:
"Fortunately both were issued from the correct London American 45 tape dubs on Ace's "London American Label" series, which match the US 45s."

Return to ā€œ1960sā€