Adam Faith to Wink Martindale, Ain't Misbehavin' to Zing A Little Zong

Moderator: kirkm

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

I'm Satisfied

Postby kirkm » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi, an interesting request from Lonnie who compiles our label collection -

A bit of confusion with the B side of u57_168, the 45 label is titled "I'm Satisfied" and the composer is Paul James, the 78 label however is titled "I'm Satisfied (Yes She Do, No She Don't)" and the composers Jo Trent and Peter DeRose. I'm leaning towards the 78 label as being the original

There's no doubt the song was written by Trent and De Rose, but does anyone know who 'Paul James' is ? Or why.how he came to be on the Oriole 45rpm label ?

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: I'm Satisfied

Postby ukcharts » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:51 am

Paul James was a pseudonym of Chas McDevitt. He's also credited on Freight Train (u57_044a last time I checked).

Chas is listed as the author of "I'm Satisfied" in the BMI database.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
U K C H A R T S
-- webmaster --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:43 am

ukcharts wrote:Chas is listed as the author of "I'm Satisfied" in the BMI database.

Hi Bert,

Maybe that's a different song? A Google for it and Trent - De Rose gives too many hits for a false positive, and it was so listed on the 78rpm label.... listening to the song it has the "(Yes She Do, No She Don't)" lyrics.

Either way. nicely clears up who Paul James is !

Cheers - Kirk

Triangulator
Number One

Postby Triangulator » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 am

Hi All, I just read the Chas McDevitt Music Biography ( http://www.allmusic.com/artist/chas-mcdevitt-mn0000083674

Very interesting article, in which it states "One of the songs they performed was the Paul James and Fred Williams composed number, Freight Train on which Chas McDevitt performed the lead vocal."

My guess is that there are two songs with the same name, but by different composers.

Cheers - T

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:47 am

kirkm wrote:
ukcharts wrote:Maybe that's a different song? A Google for it and Trent - De Rose gives too many hits for a false positive, and it was so listed on the 78rpm label.... listening to the song it has the "(Yes She Do, No She Don't)" lyrics.

Yes, very possible, he also wrote "La Bamba" :o ... a fair assumption that's also not the well known version!

It also explains the label confusion. Either it's the Paul James penned song on the 7" or, more likely, someone 65 years ago was trying to be helpful / clever.

Incidentally, Chas is still knocking around, raising money for the Water Rats charity, and contactable by e-mail if we want a definitive answer!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Return to ā€œ1950sā€