Any missing?

Adam Faith to Wink Martindale, Ain't Misbehavin' to Zing A Little Zong

Moderator: kirkm

Theo
Number One

Any missing?

Postby Theo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Does Britburn have a list of tracks that you only have in less-than-perfect quality? I might be able to help with the 50s ones if so. (Apart from the ones I myself don't have great copies of...)

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Any missing?

Postby kirkm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:55 am

Hi Theo,

I've been meaning to thank you for the ones you supplied so far - the next lot of our Verify
files will show them up for everyone else. That'll coincide with a usenet repost.

There's no longer a BAD list, eventually we reduced it to nil (at least for the 50's). But no doubt there are still some that could be further improved. I'm hoping others might name some as they hear any that qualify. I'll do the same. A lot of 1950s tracks aren't ex CD and might sound better with a new rip, but also some CD versions are NOT as good as our vinyl rips. The Anthony Newley EP springs to mind.
(or is that 1960 ??)

Cheers - Kirk

Theo
Number One

Postby Theo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Yes, since I started collecting, the Anthony Newley EP has appeared on a Vocalion CD, presumably from the master tapes. Is that the one you mean? It was 1959...

Record companies do odd things. When Spectrum issued a Joan Regan CD, Open Up Your Heart was a bad dub from the 78. I later discovered it had already appeared on a European CD of 1955 hits, sounding completely clean!

Also, do 'upgrades' get shown regularly if I join Usenet?

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:04 am

No, not Vocalion but the 'The Decca Years 1959-1964' they had 2 tracks from the EP (they were singles as well).

It's intriuging where record companies get their stuff from (well we know where SOME of it comes from :D ) and I guess the price reflects how much time and effort goes into getting the 'best' version. Perhaps much has been destroyed/lost and copy masters are no longer obtainable.

Don't know how true it is, but I hear Bear are ''watermarking' their disks so that if any other company rips and re-uses their tracks, it can be identified....

If you join usnet you'll find all the updates and more. Years of stuff is still held by the premium news servers and things like binsearch will find whatever's there.
Cheers - Kirk

Theo
Number One

Postby Theo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:07 am

It sounds like I need to join Usenet...

When I get to 1959, I'll try to get hold of mp3s off the Vocalion CD of the Newley EP. Indeed, some masters have invariably been lost or destroyed, but in the case of major record labels, these tend to be exceptions.

Well, Bear did take a British Public Domain label to court for using their masters. However, since so much has gone PD in the last few years, I think a lot of record companies have been 'borrowing' from Bear, especially when it's the only source...

Return to ā€œ1950sā€