1952 + 1953 Hits

Adam Faith to Wink Martindale, Ain't Misbehavin' to Zing A Little Zong

Moderator: kirkm

Theo
Number One

1952 + 1953 Hits

Postby Theo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:25 pm

Hello everyone, especially Kirk!

I'm starting on my mission to collect every UK charted hit of the 1950s as per Britburn.

Good news it that I have 1952 complete! :D

1953, well nearly...

Missing:
23 Jan 1953 Tony Brent - Got You On My Mind
The CD is in storage...

15 May 1953 Muriel Smith Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me
I don't have the correct version. I'm told by Brian Henson: "It's always that last sighing phrase "never let me go" that gives the alt away."
It may well be on the Sepia CD "The King and I/Golden City London Cast Recording" as they generally always use disc dubs.

11 Dec 1953 David Whitfield Rags To Riches
The version usually on CDs has a 'faded-in' intro. But I'm informed the original 78rpm version was NOT faded-in.

Are you able to provide these for me please?

And an addition:
16 Oct 1953 David Whitfield Answer Me
I've got this on my 1953 playlist twice, since it was re-issued during it's chart run with the amended 'oh my love' lyric, rather than 'lord'. Therefore I think both recordings should be on the list. I can provide this version if you need it, Kirk.

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: 1952 + 1953 Hits

Postby kirkm » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:31 am

Hi Theo,

It's always good to get informed comment on the various 'alt' versions. It's quite amazing how many different ones are around. We've always strived to collect the 45rpm 'charting' version but there must be dozens of alts masquerading as the real thing.... although we've had some lucky finds and have a fairly good system for ripping vinyl.

I'll check all those you've mentioned for 1953/54 and get the ones you want over to you. You're not on usenet so shall I email them to you? Also, with our collection, if the source is known it's identified in the tag.

Can you do something for me? I'm after scans of some UK 78rpm sleeves, RCA - Mercury - London for starters. Have any or know where they might be found ? Thanks.

Cheers - Kirk

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46 am

Theo wrote:23 Jan 1953 Tony Brent - Got You On My Mind

Ours is a CD rip from EMI Gold "The Best Of..."
15 May 1953 Muriel Smith Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me
I don't have the correct version. I'm told by Brian Henson: "It's always that last sighing phrase "never let me go" that gives the alt away."

Then I suspect we have the wrong one :( From "Great Ladies Of Song - Disc 1"
11 Dec 1953 David Whitfield Rags To Riches

No worries here, vinyl rip.
16 Oct 1953 David Whitfield Answer Me

We have them both. Likewise the two versions of 'Vera Lynn - Travelin' Home' if needed.

Cheers - Kirk

Theo
Number One

Postby Theo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi Kirk, thanks for your reply. I will try to mention any versions that are often 'incorrect', although I'm sure you know the basic clue - that anything pre-1958 should NOT be stereo!

Thankfully, most 50s hits were only recorded the once... and yet the wrong version will still be re-issued :shock: It's only thanks to the expertise of people like Brian I'm aware about many of them. Perhaps he has that Sepia CD with Muriel Smith's track... he certainly has a cassette version of the 78 to check the version.

Emailed copies would be great, thanks!

Re: 78rpm sleeves. I am almost positive that RCA and London 78s were housed in plain sleeves. I have seen Mercury sleeves though. I'll email you the details of a guy I know who will know for certain!

Return to ā€œ1950sā€