Adam Faith to Wink Martindale, Ain't Misbehavin' to Zing A Little Zong

Moderator: kirkm

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

10" Maxi Single

Postby kirkm » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:32 am

Hi,

In what may be a first, we've a 78rpm Maxi Single in the system - u53_073.

Although this had been identified and noted in the spreadsheet, the actual extra mp3 was not in the system.

Only the Vivian Blaine track charted, but there were 2 tracks on the A-Side. In keeping with our rules, this second A-side and the B-Side are both treated as B-Sides and assigned a subletter number.

The 2 B-Side files become

u53_073b1 - Robert Alda - My Time Of Day (formerly u53_073b)
u53_073b2 - Robert Alda & The Guys - Luck Be A Lady

Will be posted to absm.50s asap.

Cheers - Kirk

Theo
Number One

Re: 10" Maxi Single

Postby Theo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:53 am

Hi Kirk,

This is really interesting. I wasn't aware there were ever any 78rpm Maxi Singles, that is, 78s with more than one track on a side. I honestly thought every 78 out there simply had one recording on each side. When selections from musicals were issued on 78, they got several songs onto one side by recording them in a medley (several songs from the George Formby West End musical 'Zip Goes A Million' in 1951 were done like this).

I remembered reading your post about this a while ago and being intrigued. I've only recently purchased the Decca Broadway CD re-issue of the cast album though which brings it to mind again.

Obviously the Vivian Blaine track is so short (about 1:30) that you could easily fit something else onto that side. The US 45 shows a time of 3:23
http://www.45cat.com/record/927382

The two digital tracks do add up to around that time (3:29 from my mp3s). More to the point, it seemed so unusual to me to include two separate tracks on a 78rpm side. I wasn't even sure it was possible, since I'd never seen it before.

But I've just looked on eBay, and thankfully someone selling it (at £49, which I'd be surprised if they get!) has uploaded a photo of the whole disc and label:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-78-BRUNSWICK-05100-A-Bushel-And-A-Peck-My-Time-Of-Day-from-Guys-And-Dolls-/201336923273

It's quite exciting to see that there clearly is a gap in the shellac grooves in the middle. So without hearing the 78/45 (do we know anyone with a copy?), it seems fairly obvious they included both tracks separately. The only other thing I might have imagined was them both being part of the same 'track', with perhaps a gap in between the recording, one starting after the other. But it seems this wasn't the case. Well, you learn something every day, and until now I was never aware of any 78s with more than one track on a side, pressed with a gap in-between the grooves. I suppose if they could do it on vinyl they could do it on shellac, but multiple tracks on a side was more something I associated with the LP and EP (both of which were quite new at the time of this 78).

It's also interesting that the NME didn't list "My Time Of Day" in the charts. I suppose record stores surveyed for the chart kept note of the tracks which sold, and "A Bushel and a Peck" was the one people asked for and bought. At this point, the NME listed the other side separately if it was selling. It wasn't until a few years later that double-sided singles were listed (was Lonnie Donegan first with 'Lost John' / 'Stewball' in 1956?). This is clearly an odd example of a record's A-side which wasn't listed on the chart entry. Oh, except those records which got flipped by DJs, like 'Juliet' by the Four Pennies (the b-side!), and a good few others, I'm sure...

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:41 am

Hi Theo,

I'm pretty sure it's the only one like it in the system. And I don't recall seeing any more 78s like it. I spent many years doing disk cutting but never a 78.
Banding occurred at the push of a button (you'd preset the size) and you have a running sheet with the times. Mostly it was between tracks so no problem, but with continuous tracks it became more important. But then playback depended on where you dropped the needle & I doubt it was ever checked ! Source was mostly tape which included the 'silent' parts. I guess tape was in use in 1953, but diskcutting lathes would be a bit different to the 1970s, ours was a Neumann.

http://www.britburn.co.uk/files/lathe1.jpg

Theo
Number One

Postby Theo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:35 am

Interesting stuff, thanks. Yes, I think all the record companies were using tape by the early 50s.

Return to “1950s”