Formats

General UK chart chat

Moderator: ukcharts

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Formats

Postby ukcharts » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:20 am

As we reach the 80s in project terms and approach 2008 in real life, both present us with a similar problem.

Prior to 1980 there was generally only one format of each release available (or at least in the 50s during the 78/45 cross-over period if released in two formats then both contained the same tracklist).

Once we hit the late 70's / early 80's we have the introduction of 12" (and later 10" / picture disc / shape disc) to contend with. Towards the end of the 80's we have the introduction of CD Singles and in 2007 we have all the fun of download singles in the chart (often superceeded by the same track on CD a week or two later) and the re-emegence of 7" vinyl (often 2 different issues alongside a 12", a remix 12" and two differing CD Singles).

Now, from a discography point of view (and that's how I became involved in the Project) all releases with the correct catalogue number are important, but for the spreadsheet I feel we need to draw the line somewhere (or should that be somehow?).

Kirk and I have batted this back and forwards several times and his final decision was that I'm in charge from 1980 onwards, so many months of pondering have led me to this theory:-

Release progression can be summed up fairly reasonably as follows;

19xx-1952: Sheet music (future project stuff of dreams)
1952-1959: 78 takes precedence. 45 only noted if different
1960-1979: 45 takes precedence. Others only noted if different
1980-1989: As for 60s+70s, but with a seperate sheet for variations
1990-2006: CD Single (CD1 if there are more than 1) takes precedence, with seperate sheet for variations
2007-20xx: To be decided. At present CD Singles are still outselling downloads for the most part, but this might chance at some point (in fact we've already had our first download #1, although it was backed up with a CD release the following week).

The second part of the question is how do we develop the spreadsheet from 1990 onwards to show the multiple B-sides and mixes that come with the explosion of CD Singles? Do we widen the spreadsheet to contrain details on those tracks or throw everything into a comment field (as we already do with EPs and charting LPs)?

This is only for the Excel spreadsheet of course - the online database is much more flexible (particularly in terms of output) and can cope with the differing formats much easier.

Any thoughts or comments?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
U K C H A R T S
-- webmaster --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:36 am

Hi Bert & all

>The second part of the question is how do we develop the spreadsheet from 1990 onwards to show the multiple B-sides and mixes that come with the explosion of CD Singles? Do we widen the spreadsheet to contrain details on those tracks or throw everything into a comment field (as we already do with EPs and charting LPs)?

If the existing sheet was expanded for the new 1980+ fields, we'd have a very large number of blank fields pre 1980.
Possibly a new 'Britburn2' worksheet could be started? I suspect the comment fields as used now may not be sufficient.
This could then move to a 3rd sheet post 2000, if required.

Cheers - Kirk

PS And a very happy 2008 to everyone !
May it go a little slower than 2007 :twisted:

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:39 am

kirkm wrote:If the existing sheet was expanded for the new 1980+ fields, we'd have a very large number of blank fields pre 1980.

I don't see that in itself as a problem, blanks fields take no space and if the sheet is properly designed it wouldn't confuse the user. However, where I do see a problem is simply not enough space to contain all formats of a single release on one row - 256 fields may seem a lot but it's really not if we consider some of the future enhancements we've discussed as well.

kirkm wrote:Possibly a new 'Britburn2' worksheet could be started? I suspect the comment fields as used now may not be sufficient.
This could then move to a 3rd sheet post 2000, if required.

Perhaps even a single sheet for each decade. The other option would be to continue as now with an a and b side (or equivalent) and a seperate sheet containing the additional formats.

kirkm wrote:PS And a very happy 2008 to everyone !
May it go a little slower than 2007 :twisted:

Much slower please! 6361 identified releases for the 80s is going to take the best part of 2008 to finish putting together!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:32 am

Hi Bert,

Perhaps through a mockup together of how you envisage it?
By space I was thinking of screen area where, at the moment you only need to scroll horizontally for the chart runs. More fields would force a scroll past empty fields.... yes? Maybe it wouldn't matter... BUT - any extra sheets or column insertions would mean a major rework of the code.

Even it does need it anyway! :P

I made a stuffup with the 1957 As & Bs. Tag & Rename applied an unexpected Case change in the tags. What should be Upper only is now a mix of Upper/lower!
I spotted it halfway through the post, but too late. Suppose it's slightly better than every artist being Al Martino!

Cheers - Kirk

ulr001
Looking For Gigs

Re: Formats

Postby ulr001 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi,

from a collector's point of view all UK chart books have the catalogue numbers for the 7" vinyl single (if available) up to 1992 and from 1993 the cd single.

So in the years for example 1990 to 1992 the main entry and posted versions should be the ones from the 7" vinyl single. Often those versions differ from the cd single ones and they are harder to get but those are the ''right'' versions from the collector's point of view.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Ulrich

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Formats

Postby ukcharts » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:59 am

Hi Ulrich,

I think you are talking about the binary newsgroup posts, this specific discussion is more a hypothetical discussion on the direction and content of the excel spreadsheet containing the information. See my reply to your similar post in the other thread for a more meaningful reply to your question.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Return to “General”