How Do You Download?

General UK chart chat

Moderator: ukcharts

easbym
Looking For Gigs

How Do You Download?

Postby easbym » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:59 am

Hi,
I've just found your incredible site, and am amazed at the work that has gone into making it such a comprehensive history of Top 40.
I downloaded the active spreadsheet, but the macros will not run on my (quite old) version of Excel, which I would rather not have to upgrade. Is there a way of downloading songs with out using the spreadsheet? I can't seem to find any links on your pages which give access to the mp3s.
Thanks in advance,
Phil from Adelaide.

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: How Do You Download?

Postby ukcharts » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:56 am

Hi Phil,

The music files are not connected directly to the website for copyright purposes. They can be found on the usenet newsgroups alt.binaries.sounds.1950s.mp3 - alt.binaries.sounds.1960s.mp3 - etc. Any news-server with a retention of 365 days should have a pretty much complete set of those sorted so far (1952 to 1980 + 1989 and many b-sides and pre-chart songsheets).
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
U K C H A R T S
-- webmaster --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: How Do You Download?

Postby kirkm » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:36 am

Also Phil, you don't need the macros working to download the mp3's.
The macro's only play them and display lyrics & labels.

If you've not used the newsgroups it's a whole new learning curve. But plenty of help around if you need it. Welcome aboard and nice to see someone from Adelaide... suppose we better upgrade our Rolf Harris tracks... :P

Cheers - Kirk

Return to “General”