Dutton Vocalion CDs - fake stereo

General UK chart chat

Moderator: ukcharts

Theo
Number One

Dutton Vocalion CDs - fake stereo

Postby Theo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:36 pm

I thought this might be a good place to note that some of the re-issues on this label seem to use a very subtle form of "fake stereo". He seems to 'spread' the channels so it doesn't sound like the channels are exactly the same on tracks that should be 100% mono. I've noticed this when listening recently. Examples:
Edna Savage - Evermore
The Stargazers - South of the Border
Ray Martin - Volumes 1 and 2

I'm told he also did it on an early CD of Peter Yorke, which came from 78rpm recordings. It's really annoying that such a dedicated label would do a thing like this. Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems like messing with the tracks to me when they should be 100% mono in both channels. I imagine it can be 'fixed' somehow - selecting the louder channel and duplicating that? Perhaps we can keep a record of those which we discover to have this 'feature' here.

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Dutton Vocalion CDs - fake stereo

Postby kirkm » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:03 am

Theo, if you have/can get Abode Audition (other audio editors will have an equivalent but I don't know what they'd be); use channel mixer preset L-R to Mid-Side. It leaves you with one channel containing what was the same in both and the other with the differences. Thus, the former has removed all left and right differences - like fake stereo.
It will also significantly reduce disk noise. It's one reason reason not to rip to mono... make it mono later.

Pity about Dutton. Ruins what are rare reissues.

Theo
Number One

Postby Theo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Ah, so that's the best way to 'fix' it?

I didn't really notice it until I had headphones on listening to some tracks. It's a shame that he licensed the tracks from the masters yet tampered with them this way. When I mentioned it to a friend, he mentioned the Peter Yorke CD. I think he's mainly done it with 1950s tracks where the masters have been used. In such cases, re-issues of the tracks from the majors (EMI, Universal) are preferable.

I think it's not unheard of on other labels, for example on The Beatles CD single collection, although it's said to be caused by mono tapes being played with stereo heads, so by accident rather than by design.

Theo
Number One

Postby Theo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Any idea how to do that in Audacity?

Return to “General”