Britburn Lyrics

Ah, the spoken word, and how it fits into the Britburn Project
ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Whoops !!

Postby ukcharts » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:27 pm

Puff-Adder wrote:Doh! It could be that the "Category Tag" is part of Windows Explorer

Indeed, it appears it's stored on individual computers rather than portable (there's nowhere for it to hide in the file itself I suppose).

Not to worry. If WinAMP and MediaPlayer can cope then I'm sure I can rename them myself or throw a program together to do if for me if I'm that bothered. :roll:

How far into the Project do you expect to continue providing lyric files for?

Thanks,

Bert
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
U K C H A R T S
-- webmaster --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Puff-Adder
Bubbling Under

Text File Tags

Postby Puff-Adder » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:55 pm

What confused me was that when I copied the .lrc files with tags from desktop to laptop over my home network, then all the information was transferred.
I just tried to copy some to a USB disk and got a warning that information would be lost.
It looks as though there is no (easy) way to transfer this information from one person to another. :cry:
I think I will continue to generate the tags, for my own benefit.
Who knows, if we ever meet up, I could pass them on.

Re. your last question .....
Hmmm.... that's a good one.
I hadn't really thought that far ahead.
My interests stretched mainly from late 50s to early 70s - peaking in the mid 60s, I guess.

I will definately complete the 50s and would plan to carry on through the 60s if my interest hold out that long. After that - who knows??
It would be nice I another volunteer turned up to help out - otherwise it's going to be a huge task.

By the way - how do you do that fancy quoting thingy?

Cheers
Puff-Adder

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Text File Tags

Postby ukcharts » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:13 am

Puff-Adder wrote:By the way - how do you do that fancy quoting thingy?

You can hit the "quote" button instead of reply and it brings up the whole message or you can surround the quote with the special tags (hover your mouse above the Quote button above the message box when you reply to see the syntax. To get the name is (quote="Name") (/quote) <--- use square brackets to actually make it work!

Puff-Adder wrote:I think I will continue to generate the tags, for my own benefit. Who knows, if we ever meet up, I could pass them on.

It's no biggie, there's only 35,000 or so (although some tunes have been in the chart more than once of course - although not necessarily with the same timings. And then there's the b-sides of course :lol:

Puff-Adder wrote:I will definately complete the 50s and would plan to carry on through the 60s if my interest hold out that long. After that - who knows??

I think me and Kirk have come to the conclusion after several years on the project that the trick is to pace yourself. It's obvious that an interest in the subject is compulsory, but when you roam outside the realms of that interest it helps to set a low target and stick with it. I certainly expect to struggle once I finish the 80s spreadsheet and try to press into the dirge that was some of the 90s music (IMO of course :wink: )

Puff-Adder wrote:It would be nice I another volunteer turned up to help out - otherwise it's going to be a huge task.

From little acorns. I don't suppose it would hurt too much if I tried to track down what I could of the 80s while I'm compling.

Bert
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:07 pm

Hi Guys,

I think Puff's right. MiniLyrics uses the Artist and Title fields from the ID3v2 tag and this doesn't have a catagory field.
There's no way to link the lyrics to a Britburn number - except in the active spreadsheet. And seeing the player will auto-launch MiniLyrics anyway there's no advantage to doing that.

There is a database option in ML but I haven't checked it out. To keep things simple we may have to store all the lyrics in one folder. Or access them online.

I'm tempted to add an option to the spreasheet to display the lyrics, but
I'm not sure it would be any use. They will appear anyway when the track is played. Would they be wanted otherwise?

And, sorry to report my 1952 B-side lyrics got bogged down and isn't finished yet. :evil:

Cheers - Kirk

Puff-Adder
Bubbling Under

Postby Puff-Adder » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:41 pm

kirkm wrote:To keep things simple we may have to store all the lyrics in one folder. Or access them online.

You don't need to keep all to files in a single folder - I have them in separate folders for each year.
There is an option in Minilyrics to choose -
(i) Which folder to store the lyrics files in (can be any one)
(ii) Whether you want it to search in sub-folders.

So you could, for example, have a folder " Britburn Lyrics" which contains sub-folders for each year.

See attached screenshots for how to set it up....

Cheers
Attachments
Setting Lyrics File Storage (1).jpg
Setting Lyrics File Storage (1).jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Setting Lyrics File Storage (2).jpg
Setting Lyrics File Storage (2).jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
Puff-Adder

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:46 am

Hi Puff,

Thanks for spotting the SubFolder option. That will help a lot, otherwise there's be a lot of files in the one folder! What I've also found is, when you Open any lyric file that then becomes *the* lyric file for that track irrespective of filename. So we could include our numbering system in the filename but every mp3 would need that linking done manually.

But that may need doing anyway. If you just rename a .lrc correctly that's not enough for ML to find it.

When you said "What confused me was that when I copied the .lrc files with tags from desktop to laptop over my home network, then all the information was transferred.
I just tried to copy some to a USB disk and got a warning that information would be lost.
It looks as though there is no (easy) way to transfer this information from one person to another. "
- did you sort that out. I had no trouble with the files you sent.

I've finally finished the 21 B sides for 1950 - which doesn't set much of a speed record :roll: and intend posting them on http://kirk.orcon.net.nz/ over the next couple of days. I emailed ML asking for permission to include a link to them but never got a reply. So I'll do it anyway!

I'm still trying to see what/how a song is linked to its lrc file. Let me know if you know?

Cheers - Kirk

Puff-Adder
Bubbling Under

Testing ???

Postby Puff-Adder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:24 pm

I have posted 2 replies here recently.

They both appeared to be accepted, but have now vanished.

Any suggestions??

Cheers
Puff-Adder

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Testing ???

Postby ukcharts » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:56 pm

Puff-Adder wrote:I have posted 2 replies here recently.
They both appeared to be accepted, but have now vanished.

The server reset the database on Thursday evening and posts between about 17.00 and 22.00 were lost. Was it during that time?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Puff-Adder
Bubbling Under

Testing??

Postby Puff-Adder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:06 pm

Not sure about the time, but it probably was within that window, as I was replying to Kirk's last post (Wed 19th).

Bl**dy typical.

Can't remember the content, now. And of course, the problem with these forum postings is that I have no record of what was sent.

Ho-hum..

Thanks for the explanation anyway.

Cheers
Puff-Adder

Puff-Adder
Bubbling Under

1954 lyrics

Postby Puff-Adder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Attached are the lyrics files for al the 1954 a-sides (plus a couple of b-sides that I did as well).

I've also included screenshots of the file list sorted by both Artist and Number.

Enjoy....
Attachments
Lyrics - Britburn 1954 A-sides.zip
Lyrics for 1954 Britburn a-sides
(70.82 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Britburn Lyrics - 1954 A-sides (Sorted by Artist).jpg
File list sorted by Artist
Britburn Lyrics - 1954 A-sides (Sorted by Artist).jpg (193.51 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
Britburn Lyrics - 1954 A-sides (Sorted by Number).jpg
File list sorted by Number
Britburn Lyrics - 1954 A-sides (Sorted by Number).jpg (193.89 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
Puff-Adder

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Testing??

Postby ukcharts » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Puff-Adder wrote:Bl**dy typical.

Sorry 'bout that. I did get an e-mail telling me the servers were being upgraded and asking me not to make changes to the database, but of course it arrived after the problems were fixed! :?

Out of (possible) interest, the whole Britburn Project website piggy-backs using the spare capacity on a £70 per month server that I maintain several other high traffic sites on (one including a message board with often over 1,000 posts a day) and this is the first time in the 18 months I've been using it that a single message has been lost!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Return to “Lyrics And Lyric Files”