Complete 1950s A-Sides

Ah, the spoken word, and how it fits into the Britburn Project
kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Complete 1950s A-Sides

Postby kirkm » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:44 am

Hi All,

Thanks to the supreme efforts of Bassman, we've now the complete 1952-59 A-Side and EP lyrics online. I must say too, they have been compiled to very high degree of accuracy and it's a real pleasure to read through them as the songs play ! :D

http://www.britburn.co.uk/files/lyrics/ ... mplete.zip

1960's are currently being done and should be on line in a week or so.

Cheers - Kirk

Glinty
Number One

Re: Complete 1950s A-Sides

Postby Glinty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:01 am

Hi Kirk/Bassman,

I would like to add my thanks and appreciation for Bassmans hard work, it really does add to the listening experience.

Cheers
Glinty

Glinty
Number One

Postby Glinty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Kirk,

I've only just noticed that Bassman has included the EP lyrics for 1959, how do I get them to display when playing the EP's.

Cheers
Glinty

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:20 am

Hi Glinty,

Ahhh.... do you have the test v1.0? Does that not play them?

To be honest there's been about 12 or so revisions to v1.0 since the test version as minor bugs are sorted and/or a few new things added. I really didn't want to get this out until it was rock solid.
There have been major lyrics improvements - plus the new lyrics Backend changes.

I wonder - if Tel reads this, perhaps he could send you his working copy ? He's been keeping with and testing stuff as the changes occur. Mine's still in disarray!

Leave it with me....

Cheers - Kirk

Bassman
Number One

Postby Bassman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi Glinty

Thanks. it's always nice to know the hard work is appreciated.

The interim Spreadsheet It's on it's way to you.

The ability to show all the EP tracks lyrics, in fact all multi track Sides, including the main chart EP's and LP's is now working brilliantly. You'll see a navigation icon which allows you to page through the tracks.

I've now started on the 1960's but that will be a bit slower as there are more tracks to transpose and correct, plus the length of tracks is increasing from the average of about 2 minutes to 2.5. and will keep on growing as the decade goes on.

I believe the intention is for future years to be put up seperately.

As usual if anybody has any amendments or corrections for typo's or just misunderstanding then let us know and we can correct.

Cheers

Tel

Bassman
Number One

Postby Bassman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi all

Just a quick note on the few "rules" I applied to the lyrics.

Backing vocals are not included unless I deemed them relevant. Where they are then they are bracketed and usually outside of a main vocal. So for example Elvis - Teddy Bear is not full of "(Hot Banana's)"

Five dots (.....) at the end of a lyric indicates that the record fades out.

It is possible that I may have missed some of the improvised start of lines, such as Well, Ohh or Yeah.

I've also tried to elimate all extended words such cry-y-y-y-ing. That will just be crying in the text.

Finally where it has been necessary to give it an educated guess, it's in the context of the lyric. I can assure you the opening line toTommy Steele - Happy guitar is "You take a pick, find a string" and not "You take a pig" as I found on one web site!

Also where possible I have provided English translations for non English lyrics.

Cheers

Tel

Return to “Lyrics And Lyric Files”