Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Label Scans

Postby ukcharts » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Bassman wrote:
BoroButch wrote:Is there a list of all the missing Labels

Quick and dirty, for now at least, but take a look at
http://www.britburn.co.uk/labelcheck/showlabels.php?yy=1953
Where yy=1953 can be replaced with the year you want to look at (1952 to 1960 online so far).
I'll add in some sort of menu and the artist / track info and bring it up to date and make it look a bit prettier as soon as.
B
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
U K C H A R T S
-- webmaster --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:19 pm

BoroButch wrote:Is there a list of all the missing Labels

Hi Boro,

Well, yes and no. If you have all labels we have onboard you can use the Check Files in the macro spreadsheets User Config to see what's missing. Otherwise, no - you can only find what labels you don't have.

New labels are arriving at an amazing rate... we're already up to the 3rd batch for this month!

Cheers - Kirk

BoroButch
Number One

Postby BoroButch » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks for the help, Bert and Kirk.

Is there a way to use the macro spreadsheet over a network. It's just that I'm sorting all my Britburn files into the right folders (well over due). I'm using a laptop, but I've had to put all the Britburn files on my PC, which has an external hard drive. I can access all the files from laptop OK, but the spreadsheet won't let me set the folders to the networked drive.
Is there a way to do it, or will I have to use the spreadsheet on my PC, which works OK.

Regards,
Steve.

BoroButch
Number One

Postby BoroButch » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Hey, how clever am I. :lol:

I've done it. I made the 'Config' Sheet visible then manually edit the Folders.

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:11 pm

BoroButch wrote:I've done it. I made the 'Config' Sheet visible then manually edit the Folders.

I think you could also map the network drive as a Window's drive, assuming you're using Windows.
Right click My Computer in the Windows Explorer folder list.
B
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Is it time to update the major labels archive to include the updates and exlude those replaced, perhaps even split the yearly archives into smaller sections (i.e. 1952_001-050.zip) etc.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

BoroButch
Number One

Postby BoroButch » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:11 pm

I think an update is needed, but I'm OK with one file per year.

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 am

[quote="Is there a way to use the macro spreadsheet over a network. [/quote]

Bert's suggestion about mapping drives is spot-on but editing the config sheet directly was pretty clever.

But I've struck a problem - with my wife's comp on our LAN - everything sort of works but when you go to play a track, windows invokes a silly 'Are You Sure' or similar message. (I forget the exact wording) but couln't get rid of it, so we mapped my a+b sides folders directly and Jill doesn't play them from the spreadsheet.

Mind you, she hardly gets a chance considering the hammering I give it! (Plus I have the better speakers!)

Cheers - Kirk

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:27 am

ukcharts wrote:Is it time to update the major labels archive to include the updates and exlude those replaced, perhaps even split the yearly archives into smaller sections (i.e. 1952_001-050.zip) etc.

All over to Lonnie... let's get him in here...

Cheers - Kirk

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:34 am

Bassman wrote:Some 78's from my Aunt's small collection - mostly upgrades but a couple of missing B Sides and one new one.

Hi Tel, Thanks for those 78 scans and well done on the new scanner !

Cheers - Kirk

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:42 am

kingofskiffle wrote: The files are huge., because I scanned at the highest resolution my scanner would allow... then I read what you said here! Oops.... : :oops: :)

Hi KoS,

No worries.... so it was you who posted them! You used nick 'Lonnie' which completely threw me as we have a 'Lonnie' who does all the labels religiously to 740x740... so the idea of 39MB ones from him had me wondering.... :lol:

But many thanks, we can fix em! And in meantime I can check how much dust you left in the grooves!

Cheers - Kirk

Bassman
Number One

Postby Bassman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:22 pm

kirkm wrote:[quote="Is there a way to use the macro spreadsheet over a network.

Bert's suggestion about mapping drives is spot-on but editing the config sheet directly was pretty clever.

Cheers - Kirk[/quote]

Interesting - I was having the same problem. I have an external Hard Drive mapped as F:. I created the file structure manually, using the spreadsheet and the utility but everytime I put in the path (F:\Singles2\Britburn) it wouldn't recognise it even after the S/Sheet went active. If I tried to import the files it created the directory structure directly under My Documents.

I sort of gave up putting it down to a quirk in Excel - years of being a server engineer and networking/sharing Excel (along with Printing) always gave us big headaches.

However I used BoroButch's trick and now it all works (rather brilliantly may I add!).

Now I have to move all the files as my current structure is slightly different, but it's a good chance to audit and clean up.

But the labels do look really good and a great enhancement.

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:09 am

In theory the 'GetFolders' routine can't pick up a non-existant Folder. Whatever it selects is then copied into the Config sheet and that's used to get the pathnames.

I just did a test on GetFolders and it will copy a networked drive into the Config sheet. This seems to work - I can play u52_001a from '\\Jill88\mdesktop\1952'.

Make sure the Yearly subFolders are present and maybe(?) 'Allow network users to change my files' is ticked.

When you had to manually edit Config sheet, what was put in automatically that was wrong? Or was nothing put there?

I'm going to play around with this a bit more and see what causes that message I refered to before.
The Inport routine (cleverly, errr what??!) tries to see if you have an import folder, else it sets one
up and stores it in Config A18 and A19. If it's using MyDocuments what does it show there ?

For anyone interested a friend of mine with a Mac is about to install the active ss. Apparently Macs have MS Excel. I'll report back on what happens!

Cheers - Kirk

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Labels Spreadsheet

Postby kirkm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:24 am

Lonnie has made up a spreadsheet of current labels -

http://www.britburn.co.uk/files/BritburnLabels.xls
Comments from Lonnie -

I've been trying to avoid the forum as the labels are taking up so much time, so I don't really want to get involved until I have more time.
However if it's a list of labels you need I've attached a sheet that reflects the labels we have, it is accurate apart from any renumbering that was done to the 1980 tracks so I would disregard those until I sort the 80's out which could be some time.
The list is up to date but changes daily as I receive more labels from Ray who can supply all the top 20 labels on 45 up to and including 1969.
It was good to get a few 78 labels for a change I'll sort those out as soon as possible.
I hope the attached sheet is what you need, but so long as Ray is supplying the top 20 labels, it's the lower records or the 1970's that we need.

BoroButch
Number One

Postby BoroButch » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:37 am

Thanks Kirk and please thank Lonnie for me, this spreadsheet will be a great help.

Steve.

Return to “Labels And Cover Art”