Help photographing labels

Labels and cover art images, picture discs, etc
rejects
Number One

Help photographing labels

Postby rejects » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:37 am

Hi

I've only discovered this project this week and I can help out with well over 300 label scans, mostly punk/new wave stuff. However I'm not very good at using a digital camera and my attempts so far have been badly out of focus. I'm using a Canon PowerShot A620, can anyone help?

If I can start photographing I have a few questions:

1. Are you interested in picture sleeves too? I reckon the sleeves are more important than the labels from the late 70s onwards, but it's not my project so it's up to you.

2. If you have the labels but the single was also issued as a picture disc would you be interested in a photo of this too?

3. If you have the labels from a black vinyl copy and the single was also issued on coloured vinyl, would you be interested in a photo showing the colour of the vinyl?

4. I only have the 12" of some of the missing singles, is this OK or do you only want 7"?

5. If you will accept 12", would you like scans where the 12" label differs from the 7"? For example I see that your scan of "Forget About You" by the Motors is the then-new green and red Virgin labels, whereas the 12" had the old blue labels.

6. If I have an earlier version of a missing single to the one that charted, would you like a scan of this version? For example the Undertones' "Teenage Kicks", my copy is the original on Good Vibrations but the chart version was the re-release on Sire.

7. If you want these, what about dupes, such as "Jilted John" on Rabid?

8. If your photo is of a dinked jukebox single and I can provide an intact label, would you be interested in this?

TIA.

rejects
Number One

Re: Help photographing labels

Postby rejects » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:03 am

It's OK, I've sussed it out. Would you like me to post the photos to alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.1970s/1980s or somewhere else? It'll take me a few weeks to complete but I'll upload them in dribs and drabs.

I have another question. If a single exists with both solid and push-out centres but the labels are otherwise identical, do you want both, assuming of course that the push-out centre is still intact?

I'd really appreciate re-posts of what I consider the golden age of music (1977-1984) if anyone can oblige, TIA.

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:28 am

rejects wrote:1. Are you interested in picture sleeves too? I reckon the sleeves are more important than the labels from the late 70s onwards, but it's not my project so it's up to you.

Definitely. Front and back, labels and covers, all formats of the charting single, so that includes 12" with the same cat id. If you have a scanner then that will possibly work better than photographing for covers. If there's coloured vinyl variations then I'd be interested in the info, picture discs or shaped discs then a scan would be nice. And better quality versions, or non-jukebox upgrades of existing images are good too.

Personally, but outside of the project, I'd be happy to see covers and labels from earlier or alternative releases. They can act as confirmation of authors / producers / track times, etc.

Thanks,

Bert
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
U K C H A R T S
-- webmaster --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:29 am

rejects wrote:I'd really appreciate re-posts of what I consider the golden age of music (1977-1984) if anyone can oblige, TIA.

Taken to pm.

Bert
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Glinty
Number One

Postby Glinty » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi rejects,

I assume that the scans being posted in alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.1970s/1980s newsgroups over the last couple of days are from you. Are you using a camera or scanner. Either way the results are very good. I hope you don’t mind a few tips to make them even better.

1. Do you have any photo editing software. (a very basic one will do for this purpose) If you have, try using the “Rotate” function to adjust the image so that the text on the label is horizontal. No matter how careful I position the disc before photographing or scanning I always find it needs a bit of rotating, normally only 1 or 2 degrees.

2. Then use the “Crop” function to adjust the format of the image to a square shape instead of the oblong that you get from a camera. The rotate should always be done before the cropping.

3. To save time and bandwidth of uploading/downloading and hard drive space, Britburn has adopted a standard size of 750 X 750 pixels. This will adjust your images to a size of between 100KB and 200 KB depending on how much detail is in the photo, this applies to picture sleeves as well as labels. The quality of the images when viewed on a PC screen will not be significantly affected. There is normally a “Resize” function to do this in your photo editing software.

4.Label file name format.
When I asked Kirk about this some time ago he sent me the following answer and I think it is still relevant.

“The label filename structure is sort of still evolving, but the current thinking is

uYY_nnnS(xx)(xxxx).jpg (note the use of an underscore[_] and not a dash[-] )

u = Britburn
YY = Year
nnn = Three digit serial
S = a or b (OR a-z for EP/LP/multi tracks.)
(xx) Speed descriptor or comment 1 e.g. (sm)(ps)(nz)(alt)
(xxxx) Comment 2 if required.

If two sheet music or pictures sleeves exist add a number e.g. (ps2)

As regards my own images I use a camera for the discs and a scanner for the sleeves. My photo software is Paint Shop Pro which is not freeware but I’m sure there are lots of freeware programs out there which will do the job just as well.

Cheers
Glinty

PS.

Britburn normally uses the " alt.binaries.sounds.19xxs.mp3" range of newsgroups.

rejects
Number One

Postby rejects » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi Glinty

You assume correctly :wink:

I've been using a scanner as I experimented with a camera and scanner and found the latter preferable, although I will have to photograph 12" and shaped discs. I also have a couple of poster sleeves that I'm not sure what to do with, the "Dear Prudence" gatefold was tricky enough.

I have taken your comments on board.

I have been cropping the scans and tried to get a 1.00 ratio but my hand isn't always steady enough. I like to leave a bit of the surrounding vinyl intact to show whether the pressing had serrated edges, and I also like to show the colour of the vinyl where applicable. Would you prefer I cropped to the label edge instead?

I do use Paintshop Pro but it's a very old version, V7.

Bandwidth is no trouble to me at all, I have unlimited bandwidth; this is rather expensive though and I realise not everyone has this. So far I haven't been concerned too much about file size either, I prefer HQ 300 DPI scans and discussed this via email with Bert who agreed with me, but there again I have a 1TB HD dedicated to this project which again not everyone will have. I would prefer to keep the HQ copies for those who want them but I will add a LQ as well if this is what people want, as I said before it isn't my project. Particularly with the rarer items ("Bo Rhap" sleeve, miscredited "Anarchy" label) I would rather go overboard on quality.

Cheers

John

Glinty
Number One

Postby Glinty » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:04 am

Hi John,

When you have to use a camera you will find that the most important thing to get right is the lighting. I find it's best to turn off the flash as it causes reflections and try to do them in bright natural daylight. Artificial light causes the colours to come out in different shades.
Cropping and leaving some of the vinyl is fine, it was more the rotation before cropping point that I was trying to get over to you.
As regards quality I don't think there is any need to post two versions, carry on as you are and anyone who wants them smaller can wait until Lonnies monthly post on Kirk's website where he reposts all the labels that he has found that month and resizes them to the 750 x 750 pixels if they are larger.
Paint Shop Pro V7 is fine for what you need, I've been using it since V5 and it hasn't changed that much.
Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Glinty

rejects
Number One

Postby rejects » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:03 pm

I see my scans haven't been included in the latest update, even though an inferior version of one of them (a dinked Barron Knights "Live In Trouble") has.

Edit: I hope nobody thinks I'm throwing my toys out of the pram, I will still be posting scans and I've also ripped a handful of the missing 1980 tracks. I just think my scans are the definitive version in a couple of cases. I've noticed the Genesis "Spot The Pigeon" scan is quite blurry whereas mine is crisp and also has the PS with lyrics.

Glinty
Number One

Postby Glinty » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi John

Please carry on with your scans. I'm sure there is nothing deliberate in this and it is just due to the scans arriving to late to include in this last post. I've noticed this happening with some of my posts in the past but they usually show up in the next months post. Since Lonnie started this monthly update I am surprised by the number of scans he is finding, he obviously has a lot this month as he has had to do two updates in one month.
As I said at the start, carry on with the scans, they are appreciated

Cheers
Glinty

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:46 am

Just to jump in for one small point, I use a program called IrfanView to both rotate and crop my images. It's free and does rotations to 100th of a degree and freehand crops (allowing you to set each corner / side independently without keeping the mouse down and dragging.

And, yes, my personal standard for images is 1000x1000 (which roughly equates to 300dpi for a label).

Bert
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

rejects
Number One

Postby rejects » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Can I have some feedback on the latest uploads please.

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 am

rejects wrote:Can I have some feedback on the latest uploads please.

Being overly-picky there's a couple of the labels slightly out of focus, but that's nothing that can't be resolved this end through software. Apart from that, everything else looks pretty fine to me, thanks!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

rejects
Number One

Postby rejects » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:59 pm

I see quite a few of my scans have been included in the latest update. I still have loads to do, I've mentioned this to Bert that I can't lay my hands on my vinyl at present but once I can I'll be scanning the rest.

Was the Squeeze "Labelled With Love" scan edited from the one I posted on Usenet or has this been obtained from another source? I ask because my scan wasn't correctly aligned and if you are going to fix these then there's little point in me re-scanning the other badly aligned ones.

My scan was originally labelled (alt) however and should not have superseded the scan in the July update. I believe that scan with the red and black labels is the more common version, I've certainly seen more of those around, I think my copy is the only one I have seen with the 70s style label. The real rarity though is the picture sleeve, I've never even seen a picture of this let alone had hold of one.

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:16 am

Neither images are mine, I'm afraid, I only have the company cover. The first one is, I believe, the European version, the second the UK release.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

rejects
Number One

Postby rejects » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks. I remember an interview in RC where the band said they had the sleeve withdrawn because it was a horrible ransom note type thing and nothing to do with the song at all.

Return to “Labels And Cover Art”