Permission to Summarize Britburn Data

Project status, suggestions, bugs, contact admin / webmaster

Moderators: ukcharts, kirkm

rlanza123
Looking For Gigs

Permission to Summarize Britburn Data

Postby rlanza123 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:20 am

I recently wrote an research paper using the Britburn project data with a goal of showing how first few letters in words change over time. I enjoyed using the Britburn song titles as it shows how our use of words change over time. For example, the word "REMIX" was used mainly in the 80s and later given the technology for REMIX did not exist prior. This was found by seeing the letters "RE" changed between the decades.

My question is whether it is OK to use the Britburn data for this project. I provided full attribution and links to the project page so people know more about the project but am being asked by one of the editors whether we need to ask for specific permission.

Can you let me know if I need specific permission to use the Britburn data in a research paper.
Thanks again,
Rich

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: Permission to Summarize Britburn Data

Postby kirkm » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:53 am

Hi Rich, most certainly you can! All our data is completely public domain and freely distributed. It's mostly contributions from music enthusiasts and there's no commercial interest whatsoever.

Cheers - Kirk

rlanza123
Looking For Gigs

Re: Permission to Summarize Britburn Data

Postby rlanza123 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks again for getting back to me and that helps the research to be able to use the data.

Cheers,
Rich

Return to “The Project”