Flac Not Mp3

Project status, suggestions, bugs, contact admin / webmaster

Moderators: ukcharts, kirkm

imcal
Top Ten

Flac Not Mp3

Postby imcal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:01 am

Ok not been on here for a while i have had major health problems but whilst treatment is on going i thought i would -restart my interest in the charts, Now as mentioned before i have loads of cd singles i am ripping and slowly but surely getting them organised.

I also took the decision to start ripping my cds in flac, using dbpoweramp i purchased a couple of months ago.

Yesterday i received a 2tb hard drive i purchased and last night i created (up to number 40) folders using the britburn excel file to create thousands of folders like this ( Adam Faith - 1 - 1959 - What Do You Want )

upto 1989.

Now what i intend to do is when i rip a cdsingle into flac move it in the corresponding folder, then move that folder into a done folder, so once complete i will have a folder for each year of what i have and what i don`t have, i then can make a complete list available to you guys and see what between us we have.

I was also thinking considering cd singles have been around since mid 80s it would be nice to actually get the charts in a lossless format (flac) for the years where possible, so once i have done my ever increasing cd single collection i will pass the list on to you guys to see what you have and what you dont etc..

Anyone else think flac is the way?

imcal
Top Ten

Re: Flac Not Mp3

Postby imcal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:07 am

Also i have a friend who runs a few charity shop's who always allows me to go through the cd`s before they are put out and lets me have them for 25p each instead of the pound etc, i also visit car boots and various places to buy singles from.

Also i collect compilation cds of extended versions and promo cds.

Where a cd single isn`t available using some of the re-issued cds with extra's on and some of the comp cds and promo cd`s i bet it shouldnt be too difficult to create certain cd versions of singles etc..
Last edited by imcal on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:08 am

imcal wrote:Anyone else think flac is the way?

Hi imcal,

Best of luck with your system and anything you can contribute will be most welcome.

As for flacs, certainly superior quality to mp3's but I tend to think of them as primarily storage and file transfer. They seems to be more 'resource hungry' especially in Winamp, but I haven't looked at why or for anything better. AFAIK outside of the computer nothing plays them. That's true of wav's also. I don't know if they'll ever 'take over' and its a slight worry that whole bunch could turn up that had been encoded from mp3! :cry:

Cheers - Kirk

imcal
Top Ten

Postby imcal » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:34 am

Hi m8, flacs are easy to check to see where they have come from there are a few programs on the net that scan the file and within seconds it will tell you the % of where it is from - ie a mp3 file or a cd, also the argument could also stand regarding the bitrate of the mp3, it is quiet common for a 128kbps mp3 to be converted into a 320kbps etc.

The reason i have started to use flacs are simply down to the quality, i ripped a cd track into a mp3 and a flac file and played it on my home made touch screen hifi and wow the difference is clearly there, within the hour all of my mp3`s were deleted and there was a lot.

Also flac if ripped correctly with a correctly configured program will provide a log of the rip checked against other ripped cds etc so you can see if the sound file has any audible issues unlike mp3.

But like i have said i will continue ripping these then offer them to the project.

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:10 am

Hi imcal,

The base Britburn archive for 1980 onwards is actually held in uncompressed format, either ripped as flac (I use FreeRIP for CDs) or wav if ripped from vinyl (and then every now and again converted to flac anyway, simply to save a bit of space). mp3s are used as fillers where no original CD or vinyl rip has been found yet.

I'd be most grateful if you can provide your resources as flac, and I'm happy to put my extensive collection at your disposal to fill gaps.

Where are you based (feel free to pm me the answer!).
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
U K C H A R T S
-- webmaster --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

imcal
Top Ten

Postby imcal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:34 am

Stoke-On-Trent m8.

ukcharts
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby ukcharts » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:55 am

imcal wrote:Stoke-On-Trent m8.

OK, well we can cross off regular meets to swop off of the things to do list then! :|
I'll take this to PM.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

U K C H A R T S

-- webmaster --

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

imcal
Top Ten

Postby imcal » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:15 am

Ok ive ripped roughly 1500 cd singles this week, i reckon i have another 800 to go, then others what are mixed into lp`s and comp piles.

I have ripped them all into flac 8 (highest quality flac).

I also think It would be useful to find out what others have so i don`t buy cd singles we have.

My list should be up time and hospital appointments allowing hopefully this week , Then i will try and put the release cat info on them using discogs so it will be easier for checking against the database etc.

Regards

Return to “The Project”