Checksums

Project status, suggestions, bugs, contact admin / webmaster

Moderators: ukcharts, kirkm

RonnieV
Top Forty

Checksums

Postby RonnieV » Sun May 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi Kirk,

I've used the v2.1 checksum program and the CheckSum011-files on my mp3-collection and I'd like to share my findings with you.

Almost all files I have match the checksums. The seven exceptions are:
1. 54_084a FAIL (Last 255 bytes of file) ID3v1 OK ID3v2 Fails
2. 54_112a FAIL (Length of Audio Error) ID3v1 Fails ID3v2 Fails
3. 56_187d FAIL (Length of Audio Error) ID3v1 Fails ID3v2 Fails
4. 62_285a MISSING mp3 file
5. 62_072b FAIL (Length of Audio Error) ID3v1 Fails ID3v2 Fails
6. 62_285b MISSING mp3 file
7. 64_260b FAIL (Length of Audio Error) ID3v1 Fails ID3v2 Fails

A few of the above are particularly strange, since these files matched the previous checksum-files and the files didn't change?!

Next to the above I'm struggling with 68_266 The Beatles - The Beatles LP in stereo and mono. The results of the checksum-program mention missing files combined with additional files that exactly match? Also here a previous checksum-file didn't have this problem. I tried renaming, testing individual files, etc. but to no avail.

Could you repost the above files for me?

I've noticed a few upgrades being posted since the last checksum-update. I have two questions on them:
1. A file "u60_327b - Garry Mills - Teen Angel.mp3" was posted some 40 days ago. Can you explain this one? It doesn't seem to match since u60_327 is Elvis' G.I. Blues album.
2. A file "u65_306b - Keely Smith - That Old Black Magic.mp3" was posted 160 days ago. I doesn't show up in the checksum-file.

And finally, about the checksum-files themselves:
1. "u64_092b22 - Helmut Zacharias & His Orchestra - Teatime In Tokyo.mp3" looks like a duplicate entry?
2. "u63_218b - MISSING - Mike Cotton's Jazzmen - Heartaches [Columbia DB 7029].nfo" looks like this one isn't missing anymore?
3. "u60_293b - MISSING Dick Jordan - Sandy [Oriole CB 1534].nfo" looks like this one isn't missing anymore?
4. "u60_1024b - Connie Francis - Robot Man [u60_025a].nfo" looks like a wrong entry given "u60_024b - Connie Francis - Robot Man [u60_025a].nfo"?
5. Aren't "u55_067a - Les Baxter - Unchained Melody.mp3" and "u55_501 - Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Unchained Melody.mp3" the same files?
6. Aren't "u56_068b - Jim Lowe - (The Story of) The Little Man In Chinatown.mp3" and "u56_068b - Jim Lowe - The Little Man In Chinatown.mp3" the same files?

Keep up the great work on this project!

Regards,
Ronnie

Glinty
Number One

Re: Checksums

Postby Glinty » Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am

Hi Kirk,

I've also downloaded the new checksum files and like Ronnie I got the same 7 failures.
Numbers 4 & 6 on the list are due to a new record appearing in the checksum files for 1962. The tracks are:- u62_285a - Ray Bennett - Go Away, Little Girl
and u62_285b - Ray Bennett - Twistin' To The Blues
These files are not on the spreadsheet (Ver.999885m) and as far as I know have not been posted. All 1962 files after these (286-290) also fail due to the serial numbers being one out.

Cheers
Glinty

Bassman
Number One

Postby Bassman » Mon May 02, 2011 8:08 am

Hi Glinty/Ronnie

These tracks are part of the New "extras" that will be available soon.

It's a large logistical exercise to get this together as it needs the next version of the spreadsheet plus renumbering for the existing extras, labels and lyrics.

There are new extras for each year from 1960 to 1967. 1962 is the least affected year with only 1 new single. 1965 to 1967 have a large number of new tracks added to the B/Burn project.

Unfortunately until the spreadsheet is available we are in a state of flux but there is a massive amount of work needed on this (plus there are some other changes/updates/upgrades to the S/Sheet).

Please bear with us. We were hoping to get something done for last month but that has proved not to be the case.

Watch this space is all I can say at the moment.

Cheers

Tel

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 am

Hi Ronnie/Glinty,

Classic case of taking on too much at once! There's a heap of new things happening simultaneously and each is slowing the other down. Looking back this should have all happened a little better.

But the good news is, when finished it will be worth it. :D

Ronnie, the checksum contained some tracks in the 'library' folder that shouldn't have been there. the b22 and false Missings. I'll get an updated Checksum over the next 24 hours.

I'll also repost the current versions of those 7 showing as incorrect, unless of course they now are correct.

>A few of the above are particularly strange, since these files matched the previous checksum-files and the files didn't change?!

They've probably changed at this end. Anytime you get this, just post a REQ here in the forum.

>5. Aren't "u55_067a - Les Baxter - Unchained Melody.mp3" and "u55_501 - Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Unchained Melody.mp3" the same files?

Yes. Les Baxter should have been a placeholder. The 500 series are still being sorted and there's quite a few still to find. No full post for any year has been made, but some 500s were included in the last reposts.

1960-1967 can be considered a little in disarray at the moment. The Extra's have caused a small renumbering - details were posted here -

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=358

But ignore the Wanted link - that's replaced by

http://www.britburn.co.uk/files/site/wanted.php

The next macro sheet can't be distributed yet as many new things are still being added or developed. It will be some time away. It might be time to also mention there are some 1980s Extras also coming.

If anyone wants a non-macro sheet with the 1960s Extras, I can put one on the file server but much of the Composer-Session-Duration details are empty.

Cheers - Kirk

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Tue May 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Ronnie, Glinty and all,

Further to the above, the 7 files in question have been posted to the 50s & 60s groups. Also an interim spreadsheet (identical to the last one except the 1960s Extras are included) is being tested now and will be distributed over the next few days, along with a renumbering utility.
This sheet does contain much incomplete data, but does have all the entries.

This will give us time to complete the next 'new' spreadsheet without the same pressure!

Checksum files aren't changed yet, but they're in the queue!

Cheers - Kirk

RonnieV
Top Forty

Postby RonnieV » Thu May 05, 2011 1:22 am

Hi Kirk, Bassman,

Thanks for your clear answers. They explain a lot and it's great to read about all the nice things that are happening behind the scenes.

I've grabbed the 7 updated files and compared them to the current checksums. All, but for "u64_260b - The Mighty Avengers - Sometime They Say.mp3" now match the checksums! I'll wait for the updated checksums and will do a full comparison once they're there.

Thanks big time again and keep up the great work you're doing!

Cheers,
Ronnie

Bassman
Number One

Postby Bassman » Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 am

Hi Ronnie

If you haven't seen it yet there's a new Non Macro spreadsheet available which contains the new numbering for the existing ahnd new extras.

It's on the Spreadsheet download page.

Cheers

tel

Return to “The Project”