spreadsheet

Project status, suggestions, bugs, contact admin / webmaster

Moderators: ukcharts, kirkm

bball
Looking For Gigs

spreadsheet

Postby bball » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:09 pm

dear sir
I have only became aware of the britburn project since last night. Just perusing this site i have come across a series of errors, on the page you have cited the recordings as being cited by the guinness book of records, however i have come across 2 facts already that has wavered from that book namely the gold edition (15th edition) where on the britburn you have Adam faith as scoring a #30 chart hit with the big time in 1960, on checking this stat i find that the guiness book of records does not even quote such a song and that the B side of this song, someone else's baby was a #2 hit in 1960 and yet is not mentioned on your stats.
Secondly i have noticed that you have ony included a top 30 for 1960 when in fact the guinness book of records accounts for a top 40 in 1960 as can be attested to if you check Jane Morgan's #39 hit in april 1960.
I believe it should be done with defacto information as used in all the publications available in stores like the guinness book of hit singles or the virgin book of hit singles as it stands at this time as these organisations were given licence by the uk chart company... i would be more than happy to help as a contributor to this site if you should so wish... please respond to me at your earliest convenience.

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Re: spreadsheet

Postby kirkm » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 am

Hi Bball,

With respect, you should double check your data - and ours - before suggesting a "series of errors". We've found no chart publication that is completely accurate and over the years we have submitted many corrections to GBHS.

To answer the points you raised, "Big Time" did chart for one week on 21 May on the 'alternate'
NME chart which GBHS doesn't include. Our system is based on the official chart but in addition we include significant "extra" tracks which charted in other magazines etc. These can be identified in our spreadsheet by the "B" column.

'Someone Else's Baby' is indeed present as u60_027a. 12 weeks, peak 2, 14 Apr 1960 to 30 Jun 1960.

Our 1960 chart data is a Top 30 only until 4th March, from 10th March we change to a Top 50 in keeping with the chart-of-the-day.

The Jane Morgan track wasn't April 1960 but thus;

u60_235a - Jane Morgan - Romantica
LONDON HLR 9120 7" 45 3:04

5 weeks on Record Retailer Chart
Entered Chart Thursday, 21 Jul 1960

1 21 Jul 1960 39 <<< Peak
2 28 Jul 1960 41
3 04 Aug 1960 48
4 11 Aug 1960 44
5 18 Aug 1960 43

Left Chart Thursday, 18 Aug 1960

Our degree of accuaracy is pretty high and while nothing's perfect, our data is as good or better than those reference books you recommend.

Anyway, always good to called to account :D and if you do find any mistakes we'll be glad to correct them. Check out more of Britburn :)

Cheers - Kirk

bball
Looking For Gigs

Postby bball » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:13 am

hi kirk

my apologies i found another link on the site with a different sheet than the one i first looked at and indeed you are correct someone els's baby is listed and i noticed the change to the top 50 which for some reason i did not see , the error seemed to stem from the link on the home page of the site but i found another link that provided the updated or coreected entries.. that was how i got confused... my apologies for that, the error i picked up on was from the intro page link to download the spreadsheet... as a webdesigner myself i know it is often very easy to forget a link.
Congratulations on a great amount of work you have done...

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:15 am

No worries, bball :D Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the Project !

Cheers - Kirk

Return to “The Project”