Project status, suggestions, bugs, contact admin / webmaster

Moderators: ukcharts, kirkm

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

So, what's new with Britburn...

Postby kirkm » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:51 am

... from the neck of the woods.

Work continues on the next 'active' spreadsheet. This is a MAJOR advance on the current one. A spec sheet will be posted here soon.

The 1952-3 repost which will include B sides and labels is scheduled for the next few days. This will include all upgrades and corrections. There's some pretty rare tracks here! The yy_nnn serial numbers will now
have 'a' or 'b' after them to indicate side.

I'm currently ripping every B side I have - in preparation for later posts
and downloading any more I can find. So far up to 1962 - but with lots of gaps. Periodically a wants list will be on here and at http://kirk.orcon.net.nz/

A small change is being made to label filenames. But both old and new will work in the active spreadsheet.

The next year to post to alt.binaries.sounds.1970s.mp3 is 1976. None of these files are ready yet so this post is still a month away at least.

Some of you may recall the difficulty getting a good copy of u55_128.
Don Cornell - Stranger In Paradise. The only copy for many years was an off air rip by Fried Frog. MusicProf inmproved this version somewhat. Then theDoctor(GB) posted a good 78 rip. The story goes that this tape was damaged and even Don himself didn't have a copy ! (Ref: Old Lady).
Finally - very soon - a Cedared copy (from the 45) will be available.

Cheers - Kirk

Glinty
Number One

Postby Glinty » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:13 pm

Hi Kirk,

I remember seeing a list of missing B sides for 1955 on your web site but it is not there anymore, only the 1956 list still remains. Does this mean that you now have all of 1955 because I have just found a great source for original 78's for this period and have access to rip and photograph the discs. I know I can get many of the ones on your 1956 list and that work is in progress but if you still need any from 1955 could you please post the list on your web site again.

Cheers
Glinty

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:23 am

Hi Glinty,

That's great news!! Always *very* nice to locate a new source.

The 1955 files have been promised but haven't arrived yet. Could I check with you if any are a bit rough?

Thanks for offer of 1956, at the moment all those are still wanted.

How are you for 1957 and later?

Thanks again
Cheers - kirk

Glinty
Number One

Postby Glinty » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:53 pm

Hi Kirk,

My friends collection is almost entirely vinyl (single 78’s, single 45’s and LP’s) and tape recordings taken from BBC radio programmes which seem to be better quality than the 78’s.They date from the 1930’s to the 1960’s. His main interest is in 1930’s and 1940’s British Dance Bands. He has only recently started to catalogue his collection so at this point it is impossible to say exactly what he has got. Although he is not that interested in digital music himself he is keen to help out if he can so I think it is just a case of publishing a list of what you need and I will search for them. As an example yesterday I took the 1956 wanted B side list to his house and found 7 of the first 12 in a pile of 78’s stored in two 4 draw filing cabinets. Quality will be a problem as some of the 78’s did not look in good condition but he assures me that he has many of them duplicated on LP’s. I will post some examples of music and pictures as soon as I have finished preparing them.

Cheers
Glinty

kirkm
Platinum Record (Admin)
Platinum Record (Admin)

Postby kirkm » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:34 am

Hi Glinty,

That's great news. Absolutely! I've anguished over how many records are stuck in some cupboard, unwanted, and unlikely to see the light of day. The odd thing turns up in second hand shops - but only a fraction of what must be out there.
Even better when someone has a carefully preserved collection. No matter if they're a bit noisy - often they can be improved - and if nothing else they can be used to confirm a CD rip *is* the right version. Then there's the labels... :)

Looking forward to anything you come up with.
Many things - btw, you've a great address - say hello to Penny Lane for me!
Cheers - Kirk

Return to “The Project”